Norfolk Heritage Committee
Duties of the Norfolk Heritage Committee:
- advise and assist Norfolk County Council on matters relating to Parts IV and V of the Ontario Heritage Act
- act as liaison with the property owners
- research and keep an ongoing inventory of heritage properties
- identify, protect and promote heritage resources in Norfolk County
- network with other organizations and committees concerning heritage matters
Why a Property would be Designated?
- architectural merit
- unique style
- historical background
- natural visual beauty
What Could be Designated?
Houses, barns, stores, bridges, public and industrial buildings, monuments, streetscapes and cemeteries
Archaeological sites, parks, natural areas and vistas
Benefits of Designation
- increases the value of the property
- helps preserve the County’s heritage
- a plaque is presented to the property owner
- the neighbourhood is enhanced
- community recognition of the heritage property
- encourages others to seek designation
Criteria for Determining Cultural Heritage Value of Interest
The property has design value or physical value because it
- is a rare, unique, representative or early example of a style, type, expression, material or construction method,
- displays a high degree of craftsmanship or artistic merit, or
- demonstrates a high degree of technical or scientific achievement.
The property has historical value or associative value because it
- has direct associations with a theme, event, belief, person, activity, organization or institution that is significant to a community,
- yields, or has the potential to yield, information that contributes to an understanding of a community or culture, or
- demonstrates or reflects the work or ideas of an architect, artist, builder, designer or theorist who is significant to a community.
The property has contextual value because it
- is important in defining, maintaining or supporting the character of an area,
- is physically, functionally, visually or historically linked to its surroundings, or
- is a landmark.